It is a great honor for me to be awarded the International Bionic Award 2020! I am very grateful to VDI, the Schauenburg family, the Schauenburg Foundation and the International Jury for recognizing my PhD research work on insect-inspired navigation as the best submission 2020. I must say that being awarded this prize today strengthens my enthusiasm about bio-inspiration and biomimicry, an endless source of inspiration to solve actual technological challenges.
Julien Dupeyroux received the award, endowed with 5,000 Euros, for his outstanding research on an autonomously navigating robot, which he carried out as a PhD research at the University of Aix-Marseille.
The goal of Dupeyroux's research was to build a robot that would mimic the biological functions observed in the behaviour of desert ants. These functions include the acquisition and processing of visual information and a relative navigation based the collated information, also known as path integration.
This idea represents constructive lateral thinking in biomimetics par excellence and therefore, the young scientist convinced the international jury of experts.
Copyright: the material Bionic Award Top3: Gianni Jacucci was adapted with permission from Wiley & The Royal Society of Chemistry
- Prof. Dr. Jerôme Casas | Université François-Rabelais Tours
- Dr. Rainer Erb | BIOKON e.V.
- Markus Fischer | Ingenieurbüro Markus Fischer
- Prof. Dr. Robert J. Full | University of California, Berkeley
- Prof. Dr. Michael Herdy | INPRO GmbH
- Simon Jäckel | Verein Deutscher Ingenieure e.V.
- Prof. George Jeronimidis | University of Reading
- Prof. Dr. Antonia Kesel |Bionik-Innovations-Centrum Bremen
- Dr. Ana Mura | University of Catalonia (IBEC)
- Marc Georg Schauenburg | Schauenburg-Stiftung
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Speck | Universität Freiburg
- Dr. Stéphane Viollet | Aix Marseille University
- Dr. Ludwig Vollrath | FISITA, London
- Prof. Dr. Zhengzhong Shao | Fudan University
The award has been endowed by the Schauenburg-Foundation since 2008. The Schauenburg-Foundation was established in 1986 by Hans-Georg Schauenburg, founder of the Schauenburg Group, which has been in business in the Rhein-Ruhr area for over 60 years. The focus of the Schauenburg-Foundation, which is administered by the independent Stifterverband (Stifterverband is the business community‘s innovation agency for the German science system), reflects the close connection of the International Schauenburg Group to its roots and with scientific and technical innovation.
The foundation mainly endorses academic projects in the area of engineering, economics and social sciences, as well as supporting young people in their vocational training.
- Abstract (max. 1 page in paper size A4)
- Detailed applications consisting of presentation of work, bachelor/master/doctoral/post doctoral thesis
- Ideas for the implementation and industrial application as well as market potential
The documents mentioned before shall not exceed 20 pages in paper size A4. Additionally, the following proofs are necessary. All documents must be submitted in English.
- Declaration of each team member in order to specify the individual contribution to the project, in case of team applications
- CV/CVs of the author/group of authors including date of birth
Please email these documents in the above order as one single PDF-file to:
- Subject line: International Bionic-Award
- Deadline: February 29, 2020
VDI-Society Technologies of Life Sciences
Telephone: +49 211 62 14 266
Conditions for participation
- The prize will be awarded for outstanding contribution by a team of young scientists and researchers or a single young scientist/researcher, for example for the development of a biomimetic product or for a bachelor/master/doctoral/post doctoral thesis.
- International submissions of detailed applications on the subject of biomimetics will be accepted. Copies of already published papers or reviews are not sufficient.
- The work must have been completed within the last two years before the deadline for submission of papers.
- Only direct applications made by a person or a team will be accepted; those made by a third party are excluded.
- Each person may submit one application only, either as author or co-author. Multiple applications will not be accepted.
- The applicant or team members may not be older than 40 years. Applications of undergraduate studies are welcome.
- Legal recourse is excluded.